1.02.2007

An Inconvenient Truth

An Inconvenient Truth. Al Gore. Global Warming. Why would I WATCH this?? I don't like anything Al Gore has to say. Let me also add that the guy who plays his 'double' on Saturday Night Live does an amazingly hystarical job of impersonating him! But before you think this will a cynical post 'dissing' the former presidential hopeful (a point I think he himself emphisizes too much, for no reason, throughout this film), it is not. Well, it's not meant to be. I disagree with the whole Global Warming thing, just like I disagree with overpopulation. And he warns against people like me, so I feel even more wrong. HA. Good strategy, get people to only thing what you want them to think. That's what happens in this film. But I'll tell you, it's REALLY hard to jump on the planetary armageddon theory when part of the argument for it is that the Earth is older than 600,000 years and there have been 8 ice ages (we are apparently very soon going into our 9th). I started thinking of this documentary as a critical thinking assignment and found all kinds of things wrong with what he was saying and graphs he was showing (in order to help sway people to 'his' side), I lost count of everything I found that was flawed. And that's sad because it's not even 'his' side. There is a problem and I tell you, I wasn't expecting to give ANY support, but towards the end of the film, Gore does mention automakers and different countries' standards and we are the absolute lowest in standards. I've always had a problem with that and we should be more economical. I do also have to say that I didn't find him as repulsive as Michael Moore at all, but I think this is an extremist look at a potential problem with our stewardship with our resources. He didn't say it, but he mentioned the 'fact' that within one lifetime, the world's population will increase 7 billion. One could take that as a case for population control, which is sick. So is an obsession with our earth's 'certain' death within 2-4 years (actual time my own). Quantly (professor-like, studious) done, but flawed on many levels.
~ET

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home